May 23, 2008

Random Fun Facts

I love history. Whether that's because it allows me to understand myself or the world around me, I find it endlessly intriguing. I get abnormally excited when I pick up a new fact or piece of information about a topic I once knew nothing about or better yet I thought I knew alot about. I especially like sharing the information I've picked up with those around me. So much so that my coworkers and friends have come to call me "The History/Discovery Channel." So in the spirit of sharing knowledge, I'll be posting random fun facts for your reading pleasure about any number of things. I'll start with my favorite topic, mi patria, Puerto Rico.

So...

P.R. Fun Fact #21:

The island of Puerto Rico was colonized by Spain in the 1500s. But due to a push from criollos born on the island for greater independence, Spain gave the island autonomy in 1897. But the Spanish-American War ended their autonomy within months when the U.S. landed in Guanica and installed a military government. The Treaty of Paris made it official when PR was "ceded" to the U.S. All this transpired on an island that was viewed as autonomous by its original colonizers. Thanks Madre Espana!

No comments: