November 4, 2008

We Baracked the vote! Obamanos! =)


I saw something tonight that I thought only my children would see in their lives: a qualified, articulate, intelligent, genuine human being elected as President of my country. And he's an African American man named Barack Obama. 

Apparently so did many of my neighbors in my Bushwick, Brooklyn neighborhood. I have heard shouts of joy and screams of joy. I've heard a few gunshots (it's Brooklyn, what can I say?) and lots of fireworks. The literal ones that lit the sky and the figurative ones that popped in peoples voices as they shouted through their windows, from their rooftops and from the corners.

Seeing what has transpired this past year through a muddy election season, I am beyond emotional, excited and full of hope. I spent today scared, nervous and on the edge of tears hourly. Afraid that manipulation, fear and prejudice would rule the day. But they didn't. And for that I am proud to be an American. Maybe for the first time in my life or at least that I can count on my hand. 

I do not however understand this: Why John McCain during his concession speech say that this was a moment for the African American community. I don't disagree. I believe that it is. But shouldn't we ALL as AMERICANS be proud that we've made such a monumental choice and step forward in our nation's wounded history? And what made it worse? The meek applause that greeted his commentary about it. Are those who are scared so afraid of acknowledging the reality of the world that we're living in? Get it together people. One news commentator on NBC pointed out that, "The U.S. is more multi-cultural, more multi-ethnic, multi-racial than it's ever been..." and it will only get larger and more "multi-fill-in-the-blank" here. Why is middle America and the South still so afraid of difference? If our country was going to fall into race wars, it would have done so long ago. 

I don't want to end this on a negative or pessimistic or cynical note though. I am incredibly hopeful and full of faith that our world, not just our country, is changing for the better. And that we can all act in a small way to ensure that the world continues to change for the better. This is just the first step mi gente. Don't forget about our local communities, the changes we still need to make, the mobillizing we need to do and the movement that is literally only just beginning. 

Si podemos y si lo hizimos. Pa'lante gente, pa'lante.

6 comments:

Tea Tea Any said...

Poetically expressed I couldn't have wrote it any better and yet you said what I was thinking... I just wished I had noisier neighbors it is eerily quiet outside my door and this whole neighborhood is with Obama. Cheers towards hope!

Luivette said...

It's funny that you cited that moment in the McCain speech because I had the exact same reaction. I flinched when he said that because today was a day for all Americans who have ever been told that they could not because of skin color, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, the list goes on. I didn't like the boos in the McCain crowd. Ironically, no one booed McCain when Obama mentioned McCain's name. It just shows me that some people are resistant to change. Well it is here people, and it is not going anywhere. Obamanos!

Unknown said...

wonderful piece. brought tears back to my eyes.

Curly Sue said...

Wonderful piece! I was on pins and needles all day myself and now I can breathe again. There is a harmonious euphoria hanging over the streets today. Change was made and now healing can begin.

Unknown said...

It is the day after and I'm still trying to process the enormity what happened last night.

This was also my first election season in my new home state of Florida. I saw many "NObama" signs and I was bombarded with McCain mailers at home. But I could tell that South Florida was leaning toward Obama, starting in late September. I really wasn't sure though if Obama could carry the entire state though. Algunas partes en el norte del estado - dan miedo. I am ecstatic that our state as a whole helped deliver a victory for President-elect Obama.

But there is still so much work left to be done. Floridians approved Amendment 2 to our state constitution to define marriage between a man and a woman.

Floridians also defeated Amendment 1 which would have removed discriminatory language in our State Constitution. The language in question was inserted in Florida's Constitution in 1926 that allowed the Legislature to ban Asian immigrants from owning land. While federal law prohibits Florida from using this law, the vote was largely symbolic. Honestly, it is a travesty that we were unable to pass Amendment 1. It speaks volumes about the deep anti-immigrant sentiment that runs in Florida.

That being said though, I too am hopeful and I feel renewed - deep down into my soul renewed.

As always, onward and upward.

guru said...

jess, it couldn't be said any better. Like many other the moment of McCain concession speech may me cringe, in an otherwise respectful speech and bow out to an obvious victor. To bring the race card when so many tried to not bring it up or make it a non-issue seems low.

But that is done, and to hoping what is to come with a President we respect can be amazing. if he can do almost 1/4 of what we think he may it will be a glorious time in America.

G