May 1, 2009

Rape: It's really that serious.

I got a link to this opinion piece, Is Rape Serious?, from my friend Priscilla ('sup Extra P!). I thought it was an interesting piece considering my previous post about good samaritans and where society's moral compass is pointed (or not).

I realize in reading this, that the issues of women's safety and violation (in whatever form it takes) is a top-down, institutional problem. The way to go about resolving it is to work from both directions to eradicate it. If more people were aware of how things actually go down, perhaps they would demand a change.

ps-I don't "enjoy" writing about these things but feel a compelling obligation to put the ideas in the air and catalyze some kind of thought and hopefully emotion. They're too important not to.

No comments: