August 4, 2010

Para Lolita Lebron



Lolita Lebron passed from this world on Sunday August 1, 2010. I will never forget where I was, who I was with or the non-emotive response I had. It literally didn't make sense in my brain. Although this space I created-- Love, Lolita -- was inspired by her and my ability to share my feelings with the world. It has taken me an entire two days to even begin to understand what occurred, to feel, to grieve.

Having spent most of her adult life in a prison, I have benefits that Ms. Lebron never did. But they exist in part because of her actions in 1954. A Puerto Rican woman, chose to sacrifice her life for what she believed was right not just for herself but for an entire nation--for me, for my people, for my tierra. She did so at a time when women weren't allowed to be heard or acknowledged. She demonstrated that women can take a stand, can sacrifice, can be revolutionaries, can be agents of change when and how they choose.

And because of that I pray her spirit rises to light, and am grateful to and for her existence, courage and strength. Que sigue la revolucion, la evolucion y un Puerto Rico libre.

1 comment:

urbanrhetoric said...

thanks for posting this....i think i'm going to start my latin america elective by talking about her.

~pemora