May 1, 2006

Represent, Represent, CUBA!

I had the immense pleasure of seeing my all time favorite group, Cuban hip hoppers, Orishas, perform tonight at Irving Plaza in NYC. I don't usually go out on Sunday nights because I work long days beginning on Mondays, but this was one show that I wasn't going to miss out on. And I can't say enough about how amazing they were! Their rhymes were tight, their moves were dope and their energy was contagious. They had an immense energy that they used to perform my all time favorites ("Mistica," "Canto para Elewa y Chango," "537 Cuba") as well as new cuts off of their latest album, El Kilo.

As I swayed along to the beat, hunching over the balcony, scruffing up my elbows on ledge, screaming maniaclly when they broke from performing to smile, buggin my homey Alex to take pics with his camera, I was knocked over the head. Watching them play with the crowd and just generally being wowed by their enthusiasm and talent, I was reminded of how much I absolutely and completely adore my Latino men. Guerrero, Ruzzo y Roldan are FINE.

FINE in the sense that I want to take you home for the night,
FINE as in tall, dark and scrumptious,
FINE as in I'm going to melt because of your piercing stare and intensity when you look at me, makes me wish I really was the only person in the room.

(And yes, I say "my Latino men" because each of the beings that shares my blood is part of my community and therefore, I egotistically claim them. =)) But that is completely besides the point.

And yes, their physical appearances were amazing (broad shoulders, chiseled jaws, brooding brows, dark hair, yum!), but it was the way they carried themselves, the way I see so many hombres I see and admire, that was distinctly Latino:

*the confident swagger that makes me hear music when I watch one walk by or towards me;
*the penetrating gaze that takes me outside of whatever space I'm in and creates a world with just 2;
*the way mouths and tongues mingle languages and remind me of their versatility;
*the natural rhythm that effortlessly erupts when they begin to let loose and are set free.

These gorgeous Cubano expats were distinctly different but yet all reminded me of the things I LOVE.

Muchismas gracias Orishas! Ache...

No comments: